- What is the Harvard vs. MIT Case Competition?
- Who can take part in this competition?
- But I have no previous case experience.
- Who designs/gives the case?
- What if I do not have any prior knowledge of the industry that the client firm belongs to?
- What kind of work is done on the cases?
- When and where is this competition going to be held?
- Is there a participation fee?
- Do I have to register individually or as a part of a team?
- What do I, as a participant, get out of this?
- I'm interested! What's next?
What is the Harvard vs. MIT Case Competition?
This is an annual competition that is organized by the Harvard Graduate Consulting Club (HGCC) and the Consulting Club of MIT (CCM). It provides the opportunity to selected Harvard and MIT graduate students and researchers to experience the challenges of tackling a real life consulting case.
Who can take part in this competition?
The competition is open to all graduate students and researchers of MIT and Harvard.
But I have no previous case experience.
No prior business or case experience is necessary. This is meant to be a fun and learning experience. We will have an event to introduce you to the basics of how to approach a business case.
Who designs/gives the case?
The case is provided by a firm / company that is jointly selected by HGCC and CCM. The organizers from the two clubs work with the client to design the case.
What if I do not have any prior knowledge of the industry that the client firm belongs to?
Prior industry knowledge is NOT a requirement. As participating consultants, you are expected to analyze the problem, research the client and the industry and present your solution. In fact, you will not know who the client is until the kickoff event.
What kind of work is done on the cases?
The case is designed to encourage teams to provide a solution to a business challenge that the client is facing. They are meant to analyze the case using frameworks such as SWOT, value chain, etc., to address the problem at hand.
When and where is this competition going to be held?
The next competition will take place July 11–22 2016. Applications are open through June 13
Is there a participation fee?
Yes, there will be a participation fee of $25.
Do I have to register individually or as a part of a team?
You MUST register individually. All teams are formed randomly. One of the challenges of this competition is to test the effectiveness of your communication and team–work skills when teamed with people you have not known previously.
What do I, as a participant, get out of this?
- You will have the opportunity to experience the challenges of tackling a real-life consulting case under the mentorship of consultants and industrialists.
- Cash prizes are awarded to the top three teams.
- You will have the opportunity to network with consultants and industry mentors and to learn more about the firms and future job opportunities.
- If you have ever considered a career in consulting, this competition is for you!
I'm interested! What's next?
First of all, thank you for your interest! You can apply using the Apply link above. If you have further questions, please see the Contact page (under the About tab) for our most up-to-date contact information.